Many of our clients are starting to use direct mail more and more. How do I know? Because I’m receiving more and more pieces to review and I’m receiving more and more questions each month surrounding direct mail. The good news, however, is that I’m hearing one success story after the next.
Making Proper Use Of Direct Mail
Our members are using direct mail to generate leads, convert leads, and create referral partners. I’ve seen this media used with success in every practice area, and in nearly every geography. And by far the piece that succeed follow basic rules. These are:
- Ensure we have a solid headline
- Personalize the piece when possible
- Be sure the body of the message speaks to the benefits not just the features of what we do
- Make the copy about them, not about we
- Use pictures and captions
- Have a strong call to action with a deadline
- Use a lead magnet
- Ensure we are using a tracking phone number (and there is only one number and location on the piece)
It is important to keep in mind that a critique is never meant to criticize, rebuke, or insult in any way. It is designed to help attorneys and lawyers grow towards mastery in the art and science of marketing. Additionally, having a legal systems expert regularly review your piece will help you apply the rules of direct mail copywriting and avoid making the same errors over and over again.
One piece that I’ve reviewed is from Jeff Jenkins, a bankruptcy attorney from New Jersey and a member of our Titanium/Partners Club Program. Jeff told me that after he implemented many of the changes I sent over, they have doubled response. Now they beat the control piece and I believe they could keep testing and beat it again. That is, after all, the name of the game.
Reviewing Your Direct Mail Piece
As you work on your piece, it is important to take note of the following:
- While address blocks can show strength, they can do more harm than good. They take up valuable space that could be used to increase conversion and could make you run the risk of confusing the reader (and a confused reader is one who does not take action).
- Instead of showing multiple addresses, it is better to show the address that coincides with where I’m sending this piece. Most mail houses can do that type of personalization with little issue as long as they know what addresses are to be shown to what zip codes. Generally, the name of the firm is placed on the top while the address is at the bottom, in the footer.
- Always opt for a tracking phone number and use an email address that carries credibility. The piece should be personalized whenever possible. The use of the official sheriff sale number can also make your piece feel more official.
- The key to an excellent direct mail piece is to talk to their pain and offer a solution. Make use of multiple pages to tell a story better. If this is not possible, create more space on the page by removing unnecessary pictures and elements that are not contributing much to the copy.
- Always give one very clear message. If we want them to have the ability to contact your law firm multiple ways, say: call us, visit us online, or send me an e-mail directly. Then list all the ways they can do that. As in above, the phone numbers should be able to be tracked and go for ‘Call today’ over ‘Call soon’.
Getting Ahead of Law Firm Competitors
Whether you are a small or large law firm, professionalism is expected when dealing with legal issues in your areas of practice. The legal profession is prestigious, but very rigorous. Your potential clients are looking for top lawyers from top law firms. How do you get ahead? Law offices stand out if they can provide quality client service and legal advice. However, for lawyers of small and big law firms to be really profitable, expert business consulting services is necessary.
Many lawyers, in different areas of law, tend to forget about the business aspect of their legal practice. Providing legal representation in the different fields of law is one thing, taking care of employee benefits and workers compensation in your law office is another. Effective US law firm management is crucial if you want to become one of the biggest law firms in your area. Do not underestimate its power.
Becoming A Major Law Firm And Running A Legal Business
The practice of law by legal professionals, be it in small or large law firms, must focus on both business processes and legal matters. If you want to increase revenues and rankings, you likely need a new business strategy that will enable you to get new clients. Some super lawyers naturally have the talent and skills to do this, but a lot more do not. And that is perfectly fine. Learning how to practice law is very different from learning how to start improving profitability.
Legal management consultancy is quite complex, but the top consulting firms can indeed help clients get a competitive advantage. Good business consultants help you solve problems by suggesting methodologies and focusing on business process improvement. If your goal is to be one of the best law firms and best lawyers in America, contact a top tier legal systems expert like Richard James.
Choosing The Right Legal Management Consulting Firm
An American lawyer who recognizes the need for a legal systems expert has a higher chance of beating a law business competitor. However, with so many management consulting firms offering their professional services, how do you choose? Small and large firms alike need someone who can offer the best consulting services for law practice management. Look for consulting industry experts who specialize in business consulting jobs for top firms.
Direct mail works. Take the first step now: find yourself a list, put a direct mail piece together and put it in the mail. The worst that can happen is that it performs less than expected. Then, we can go to work to fix it. As grandpa used to say, if you wait till all the lights are on green before you leave the house, you’ll never leave the driveway.
Business consultancy and legal services should always go together. Having a reliable management consultant advising you is key to becoming a leading law firm. Get the services of a reliable legal systems expert like Richard James.
Go out there and get yourself in trouble. You’ll be happy you did.